I do believe that there are times when a multimedia project, such as "The Power of One" can be just as effective as a written paper. NETS-T standard 2A: "design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote student learning and creativity" is met by "The Power of One." I do not believe, however, that The Power of One" was so effective as be a proper substitute for a 15 page paper. Writing a 15 page paper takes a lot of effort and a lot of time. Think of all the proof readings and rewrites it requires to write a good 15 page paper - hours, not to mention all the research. "The Power of One" may have taken a couple hours, involving research. I know it had to take some time, but it would not be nearly as much as it would take to find all the information needed to fill 15 pages and then write it and proof it well. I think "The Power of One" would have been great to go along with a paper, as a sort of summary because it is a very well done multimedia project.
Being able to create media projects is important for students. As "Orchestrating the Media Collage" states "being able to actively create rather than just passively consume new media is important for the obvious reason that it teaches literacy and job skills that are highly valued in a digital society." But that by no means is a reason to lose the value of good writing; the author says, "When we write, we think. We slow down and reflect as we struggle to synthesize, clarify, and communicate." Writing is still an important skill to be achieved, "Effective writing has a new kind of importance for students in what can often be a digitally distracted world."
While "The Power of One" definitely meets NETS-T standard 3C: "communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats." I just do not believe it delivered as much information or took as much time as a 15 page paper; which, I think, is the issue at hand.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You make a very strong argument for keeping print literacies at the forefront of education! I'm glad you see the value of having students develop multimedia too! I think having a PhotoStory to go along with a paper or to even use as a prewriting activity is a good idea!
ReplyDelete